Table of contents
- How to fix a bad perm?
- What are the reasons for the perm failures
- Video guide on fixing a bad perm
How to fix a bad perm?
Perm goes wrong for several reasons like, if your tresses are not in a good condition, when not enough time is given which we will discuss in detail later,
Bad perm is very annoying but the good thing is, it can be fixed through various tricks, there are several ways to fix the bad perm and they are as follows,
Wash your hair immediately after a perm
Hairstylists recommend waiting for 24 to 48 hours before washing your permed hair but that recommendation if for the normal perm, in case if your perm goes wrong washing it immediately will degrades the power of chemicals uses so that the hair returns to its original shape that was before the perm, try this method as your first option before moving to the other methods.
Reperming the hair
The next thing that comes to my mind is redoing the perm, first of all perm can be done only on the healthy hair or else you will face hair loss issues, i won’t suggest reperming the whole hair, i would suggest you to wait for atleast 2 to 3 weeks before reperming,
Ask your stylist to redo the perm for the sections where the perm didn’t take place, this would be my last suggestion for you since there is hair condition involved, there is a high chance of hair fall issue even if your hair condition is good enough.
Try trimming the fishtails/ends try a new hairstyle to match the mess
Ask your hairstylist to trim out the fishtails, it will be even better to make a new hairstyle to hide out the mess, yes, you will have to loose some hair but that is better than this bad permed hair, isn’t it?
Deep condition or hot oil treatment
Deep conditioning the permed hair helps to loosen the curls, when the perm goes wrong deep conditioning will help to bring back the hair to its original texture faster and quicker,
Apply a deep conditioner to your hair and leave it for 40 to 45 minutes, and rinse it gently, this will help to take the curls and frizz.
Canola oil treatment
The fatty acids in the canola oil helps to reduce inflammation on scalp that is caused by the perm,
It also hydrates the hair well and keeps it moisturized, when the hair is moisturized well it loosen the curl and bring the hair to its original texture hiding the split ends and frizz caused by the bad perm.
- Apply canola oil to your hair, make sure the oil reaches every tiny part of your hair,
- You can either wrap it with a wrapper or a towel or you can even leave it without wrapping it, make sure you clear the floor and make sure there are no oil drops,
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo, using harsh shampoo on freshly permed hair is not advisable,
- Repeat this process for one week and you will see a noticeable difference.
Using curling iron to match the perm
Take the curling iron and pick for the sections where the perm is not done properly, curl the portion to match the properly permed hair,
Again keeping on adding chemicals and heat to the hair is not good for hair, but when nothing else works you have to do this.
What are the reasons for the perm failures
- If your tresses are not in a good healthy condition, there is is high chance of perm failure, perm should be done only on a healthy scalp.
- If right amount of time is not given for the perm to take place, there is a chance of perm failure, this is applicable to both if the perm is on hair for too long or it is on hair for very short amount of time there is a chance of failure on both ends.
- The fishtails are caused mostly because of not rolling the hair well around the perm rods, and if your hair is too coarse or straight the perm rods will not wound properly, ya improper perm rod application is one more reason for bad perm.
Video guide on fixing a bad perm
How long does a perm last?
Perm lasts including the bad perm anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on your hair condition and the hair type you have, if you take care of it very will it may last long and if you wanna get rid of it soon, then do any of the methods i mentioned above.
Will my hair grow back after a bad perm?
Yes, deep conditioning it well and taking care of the permed hair after a bad perm will helps the hair grow back, cut the fishtails/split ends caused by the bad perm.